Monday, July 26, 2010

Back in the big city

Leaving Ushuaia was difficult.  It wasn't like the usual sadness after a nice holiday and the dread of going back to work and the "real" life.  This sadness was much deeper.  For the first time in my life, I really started to feel a deep connection to a destination. I no longer needed a map. I could find the bread, cheese and wine aisle in the grocery store...blindfolded.  I knew which streets were infamous for slippery ice and which ones every dog used as a toilet. And what I least suspected was to become a bit of a barfly at Dublin.  And where do I begin with the people I met?  I was very lucky to know such incredible people.

Gazing at the landscape one last time before I departed was rough. Even after three weeks, the Andes still managed to take my breath away.  My eyes are spoiled for LIFE.

View of city from Ushuaia Airport
So I suppose all of these things are very natural when you spend a decent amount of time in one place...which I have not ever had the chance to do until now.  I'm sure similar connections will occur over and over in my future destinations but I am happy that Ushuaia was the first...it will be the most memorable.  Thank you to Thais, Marco, Caio, Diogenes, Lizzie, Gustavo and Facundo for such an amazing time.  I really hope we keep in touch!

I am now back in Buenos Aires in a small Palermo apartment for the next 3 weeks.  I am trying to adjust to the noise, the crazy drivers and massive streets and avenues.  I will hopefully start my volunteer work with LIFE Argentina later this week.  I have orientation on Wednesday so I will update you all on the project I decide to take.  Argentina has given me so much, I am happy I can give back.

My apartment with an outside patio!