Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The drug deal

It was Thursday July 1st and I was jonesing!  I made a call to "Juampi" and told him what I needed.  He said he could take care of me and would call me back with more details.  I anxiously waiting by the phone in my hotel.  The minutes seemed like hours.  He called and said to expect a pick-up between 9:30a-10a.  I couldn't believe it was going to happen. I was literally shaking when I hung up the phone.  I wasn't sure I could go through with it.  It wasn't too late to back out but frankly I didn't know how to call him back from the foreign hotel phone.  I was in deep.

Time went by ever so slowly.  I watched the clock as it turned 9:48a, 9:51a, 10:13a...my heart was racing.  Finally, I got the word that my ride was downstairs.  Knees trembling, I got into the passenger seat of a 1982 blue Toyota 4x4 that looked like it went to war and back.  The door squeaked so loudly it scared me in my already fragile state.  There was a quick "hola" and silence the rest of the way.

After about 15 minutes, driving off the paved road and onto a dirt road, we arrived at a dilapidated tin roofed house off the side of the road.  I figured this is where the transaction would occur.  I was wrong.  The driver parked the car and unlocked the chained fence for us and the other car to enter.  A dog chased the truck as we entered the back of the house.  No words exchanged.  The other man jumped in the back of the truck and off we went for another destination.

The new passenger introduced himself as Leo (pronounced Lay-o).  He spoke to the driver in rapid fire spanish and I had no idea what was going on.  Were they nervous?  Were the conditions right?  Were we going to get in trouble?  Is this whole thing illegal?  And does anyone in the US know where I am right now???  I was freaking out.  

We arrived at another locked gate and Leo jumped out to open it for us.  Massive signs warned of "no entry", etc...  Leo also clicked the wheels into four wheel drive on the way back into the truck.  The ride was as white knuckle as they come.  Just enough room for one vehicle, steep incline, enormous rocks to avoid and NO GUARD RAIL WHATSOEVER.  I've been in a plane with a blown engine over the Bering Sea and that was a walk in the park compared to this ride.  I really started to think that this was not worth a little fix.  Really?  I am going to die BEFORE I even get the fix!

The ride of all rides

After what seemed like an hour of not breathing, we finally reached the top of Cerro Arco at 5,400 feet.

The drug house

Leo made all the preparations.  He then whispered in my ear..."listen to me and just me right now... RUN, RUN, RUN AND DON'T STOP".

Completely freaked out, I did exactly what he said and then we had the BEST 20 MINUTE HIGH EVER!!!




Hey!  That's me! 

City of Mendoza



That small yellowish circle is the landing pad!!  Yikes!

Ready to launch!!!

Thanks Leo for a great high!  And love the red crash helmet.  LOL!