Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fin del Mundo

I am in the southernmost city in the world.  I am in Ushuaia (pronounced oos-why-uh).

Ushuaia is the capital of the Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego in Patagonia. Tierra del Fuego is an island and national park at the southern most point of South America. After having a very spiritual and moving experience trekking through Torres del Paine (Chilean Patagonia) a few years back,  I knew I would eventually need to make my way over to Ushuaia.  While the dead of winter is not the most opportune time to be here, the surrounding snow drenched Andes and Monte Olivia make up for the snow and cold temps.

Monte Olivia (view from my school)

I've only been in Ushuaia for a few days now and I've already adapted to the weather.  Thankfully it's been rather mild (30-35 degrees) and the notorious winds that rip through this part of the world are at bay during this time of year.  But what I haven't adapted to is the lack of sunlight.  During the winter months (June-August), the sun doesn't rise until about 10am and it sets around 4:30pm.  This just reminds me how remote I am.

My purpose in Ushuaia is to not only soak up the amazing beauty and remoteness but to also learn more Spanish.  I have enrolled at the Portland Institute and I'm staying with a local host over the next two (of three) weeks that I am in Ushuaia.  I have class every day M-F from 10am-2pm.   

First day jitters!

Placement exam.  Back to kindergarten I go.  


The classroom

Our instructor Gustavo.  Maybe he'll pose for me one day. 

Huh?

Spanish gives me a headache.  LOL!

I currently live in a four bedroom house with 3 other students about 5 minutes away from the school.  While the walk is only 5 minutes, it covers very hilly terrain.  My house is in the Terrazas.  We are up high in the hills and have the most amazing views.  These photos were taken this morning (10am) as we walked to school.

Our house




Lizzie walking down the hill to class

My house mates are Marco and Thais from Sao Paulo and Lizzie from New Zealand but currently living in Patagonia, Chile.  She runs a massive ranch/farm and needs to polish her Spanish when dealing with her ranch staff and gauchos.  The gentleman we all live with, Sergio, is a teacher at our school and has made his home our home.  I am lucky as everyone here is really interesting and fun to be with!  

My house and classmate Lizzie

Brazilian friends Caio, Thais and Marco

After class today, we all took a quick drive around but unfortunately the weather was not so good today.  These photos don't do Ushuaia justice!  More to come when the sun comes back out!

Snowy Ushuaia


San Martín - Centro Ushuaia